Because sometimes you just need something creamy and cheesy….
This can be made stove top or in a slow cooker. For stove top just keep everything at a very low simmer.
- 2lb broccoli (I used frozen)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 brick (8oz) cream cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1-2 tsp thyme
- 2 cups pre-shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum (optional):
- Mix the broth, cream, cream cheese, butter, and seasoning in the slow cooker and set to high.
- I used frozen broccoli, so to speed things up I roasted it before adding to the soup. I dumped a bag of frozen broccoli and the garlic on a sheet pan, sprayed with olive oil, and roasted at 400F for 18 minutes. If you use fresh you can skip this step, or you can just put frozen broccoli in the slow cooker and cook for longer.
- Add the broccoli and garlic to the slow cooker. Cook about 45 minutes, until hot and melty throughout.
- Add the cheese and cook about 15 minutes more, until cheese is melted.
- (Optional) add the xantham gum to thicken everything up a bit
- (Optional) use a stick blender to lightly puree the soup and give it a more uniform consistency. Don’t pulverize it though!
Makes 9, 1-cup servings:
Makes 9x 1 cup servings, 337 calories / 7 net carb (6 if you omit garlic) / 30 fat / 11 protein each.