Hi! I’m Elle.
A lifelong vegetarian who relied on carbs as a primary source of nutrition for far too long.
I had always fancied myself a ‘healthy eater’ but in reality, I was racking up far too many health problems for a 25 year old. I quickly went from a size 0 to a (generous) size 12… and then I couldn’t get the weight off. I started getting reactive hypoglycemia and was afraid to go even 3 hours without eating. I was always starving. I was exhausted – sleeping 10 hours a night and then napping for 2 more during the day. My cortisol was though the roof. My brain was slow and fuzzy. I felt like I was living in a fog.
I tried counting calories. I tried exercising. I only ate whole grains. I did Whole 30. I did 21 day fix. I paid far too much money for food allergy testing. I got tested for every vitamin deficiency and thyroid problem under the sun. I went to a dietician. I read, a LOT, about nutrition. I was eating 1200 calories a day and putting on weight – how was that even possible? Even my doctors didn’t know. I went through 5 of them. I even tried prescription diet pills!
Until, 4 years after the first time I turned to a doctor for help, I found an endocrinologist who knew the answer. He was from India, a country with far more lifelong vegetarians than here in the US. In his home country, he had seen an epidemic of diabetes in vegetarians. He diagnosed me with insulin resistance and potentially PCOS. We discussed how vegetarians are quick to rely on carbs to feel full, failing to balance it with adequate fat and protein. He explained how a lifetime on the carb roller coaster can lead to insulin resistance.
And he suggested the ketogenic diet.
That was the day my life changed.
Within 6 months, I’d seen the following benefits:
- I lost my first 30 pounds!
- That constant, gnawing hunger just vanished. There were even days I forgot to eat!
- No more carb/sugar cravings. I was free from an addiction I didn’t even know I had!
- I had tons of energy – my average sleep time had gone from 10 hours to 7.5 and I was routinely waking up before my alarm!
- My chronic migraines reduced from 1 a week to 1 a month!
- My anxiety levels were reduced significantly!
- My PCOS symptoms subsided!
- My inflammation (CRP and cortisol) went back to normal levels!
- I no longer felt sick and stuffed after eating!
- I stopped getting hangry! I could observe I was hungry like a normal person instead of turning into an irrational cookie monster.
- I no longer became hypoglycemic between meals, although it would be several more months before I could safely perform an extended fast.
- I started working out… and enjoying it!?
- I got my self confidence back and strengthened my relationship with my husband!
- I decided that no bread, no cake, no Starbucks hot chocolate was worth going back to the way I used to feel. I knew I’d be keto for life!
So if you’d like to give keto a try, know that it is possible and it is worth it. Hopefully this website can give you the tools you need to succeed.